Higher Degrees by Research

The School of Music provides opportunities for individual postgraduate students to undertake research projects and produce new knowledge and expertise in various fields, including music performance, composition, musicology, music education, music technology, popular music, and music psychology.

Higher Degree by Research students play a vital part in the life of the School, not only through their research, but also through participation in concerts, seminars and other events, and contributions to undergraduate teaching.

Resources for current HDR students are available on our student support page.

If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate SChool's HDR Liaison team (email hdr.music@enquire.uq.edu.au, phone +61 7 3443 1192).

What Can I Study?

The School of Music offers higher degrees by research in the following programs:

In addition to the standard thesis format, we also offer an alternate thesis format for artistic research in music.

    How Do I Apply?

    1. Check that you have the qualifications required to start a research degree and that you meet the University's English language proficiency requirements.
    2. Decide what field of music and research project you are interested in doing.
    3. Contact potential research advisors at the School of Music and discuss your proposed research project.
    4. If your potential advisors are interested in your research project, complete your online application for admission.
    5. The Research & Higher Degrees by Research Committee will review your application and referee reports.

    Applicants for the alternate thesis format must provide evidence of their readiness to undertake the proposed artistic research project, such as a live audition for a performance project or a folio of existing compositions for a composition project. 

    The Graduate School website provides full details of the application process, including information about scholarships and enrolment fees.